My iPad review (or why this post is mostly capitalized properly)
So I got an iPad and figured I’d write a review (like every other jackass that has one I’m sure). I am writing it using the onscreen keyboard and this will definitely be the longest i’ve typed on it (words and time) since I got it on Monday.
My initial impressions are as such:
1. The screen rules.
2. The screen gets incredibly smudged up. I mean like nasty greasy. This is not something I’ve really noticed on my iPhone (as much).
3. It is not a replacement for a laptop or net book.
4. It browses the web like a dream. I don’t even miss flash on this thing.
5. Don’t expect to type with your fingers on the home row.
6. Once your thighs get a little sweaty the iPad sticks to them pretty well. This makes typing while sitting up in bed in your boxers easier (something I just learned).
7. Techie/IT people will think you are stupid for buying one. “normal” people will be jealous. Of course Mac fanatics will already have their own.
8. It won’t live up to the hype.
9. If you don’t like the iPhone you won’t like the iPad (duh).
10. The scrabble app is totally worth the $10 if you have friends with iPhones (review here so you don’t have to take my word for it)
11. Onscreen arrow keys would be good for navigating text boxes (like the one I’m typing in now). I can’t go back to the top of my text because the scrolling doesn’t work in “frames”. I have also had this problem on other sites. Maybe there will be a fix for it?
12. Screenlock is a good feature and wasn’t mentioned enough in prerelease reviews that I read.
13. The iWork apps should’ve come on the thing for free.
14. This keyboard is kind of annoying to type on. Hunt and peckers should be right at home though.
I got the iPad because I’d been considering getting a net book for awhile now. Mostly to browse the Internet and whatnot. The iPad has exactly the functionality I want in a quick to boot, easy to use, no fluff package. All in all I’m happy with my purchase (on day 3, at least).